|360 Feedback is Critical for Objective Evaluations|
Every published report recommends multiple as opposed to single raters for performance appraisal. – John Bernardin, Author & Expert on Performance AppraisalWhen you tap into an employee's circle of influence, you will have a major impact on changing employee behavior. Additionally, employees often respect the feedback of co-workers more than their respective supervisor. A survey of Coca-Cola Foundation employees indicates that over 90% of employees prefer evaluations that include both co-worker and supervisor. Only 4% of employees chose to have their performance evaluations performed by the supervisor only.
Example of Survey Questions for Evaluating Employee Performance :
1. Performs day to day activities in a timely and accurate manner. ____
2. Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing ____
3. Demonstrates initiative for solving problems ____
4. Directs and leads others in a positive way ____
5. Coordinates and manages time, people and other resources well ____
As with any new approach to managing people, the 360-degree approach requires careful planning. For example, training is a must since employees will be apprehensive about how this new evaluation approach will work. Training should address fundamental questions, such as what is the 360 approach, why is the organization adopting it, who will be doing the evaluations, how will the information be collected, etc.